Friday, February 4, 2011

About the Shops You see on the left

What is Dangerous Things?
Well it used to be a small cafe press shop that made no money under the name "I <3 potato". Now it's at least 3 shops that specialize in certain things.

Why the name change?
HA, apparently people who don't know me don't get my sense of humor, and thus the handle I'd gone by on the internet for years didn't make sense to them. A lot of them couldn't even pronounce it. Also, with next to nothing in the shop that had to do with actual potatoes, this was also highly confusing to people. Had I kept the name, the explanation now would have to be that it's all artwork by "potato-sensei" (me), but the shop had gradually grown out of that name and needed it's own name since it was it's own entity not entirely related to my art.

The first real Dangerous Things was actually called Dangerous II at first. It was a sister shop I built to go with the Cafe Press shop. The reasons I switched over to Zazzle and sort of abandoned my first shop child are as such:

  • It was easier to upload art and make a bunch of things as once
  • It was more community oriented
  • I could make unlimited amounts of anything I wanted
  • They're constantly coming out with new products to print things on
  • And finally, I made more money in the first month at Zazzle than in the 3 years I had a Cafe Press Account
So the Zazzle shop became Dangerous Things, and it's almost at it's one year anniversary! In the past year it's blossomed so much, and I'm really excited to see where it goes this year!

What's with the Facebook page?
It was discovered a couple of weeks ago that more people log into facebook than they do google. Amazing right? The site is great for networking, and one of the apps allows me to have the shop right there on the Facebook page! So you can shop right from facebook, and even share the page with your friends. Also, it's official, and run by me, so you don't have to worry about it being a spambot out for your social security number.

What is Potato Print Shop?
I created a print shop separate from my other shop accounts because I do most of the work there. There was a huge misunderstanding with some people regarding royalties, and in order to avoid confusion, and actually create less math for me in the long run, I simply run the print shop with a current standing royalty of about 50% (meaning, for every piece sold, 50% of the money goes directly to me). I can raise or lower this on any print at any time depending on the amount of labor I put into it.

On a more light, less math oriented note, the shop is there so all my prints are in one spot rather than pushed to the back of a shop with other items that are more popular.

What is Dangerous Things on Spreadshirt? Why do you need more than one shop?
To be honest, this shop is in it's experimental stage. If I had to say there were things I like about it, it'd be that they have some other more flattering and modern cuts and colors of t-shirts. Also, I have the opporunity to print larger on these shirts so the prints are actually different than the ones in the original shop, and actually there are a few designs made especially for that shop.

What is Potato Paint Shop?
It's my shop on Etsy where you can find one of a kind pieces and handmade items.

No comments:

Post a Comment